High-Fat, High-Flavor Burgers
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ cup bacon grease
- 1 large cage-free brown egg
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green olives, green chiles or jalapeños (optional)
- 1 tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 8 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 8 strips bacon
- sliced dill pickle
- 4 slices, pepper-jack cheese
- 1 vine-ripe tomato
1. Place fresh ground beef in large mixing bowl. Combine onion, olives, Worcestershire and spices with ground beef.
2. Alternatively — for smoother texture — blend onion and olives in blender, adding solution to mixing bowl.
3. In separate pan, fry bacon. Allow grease to cool without solidifying, then pour over ground beef. Crack raw egg on mixture and combine all ingredients until assimilated. Form into four patties.
4. Cook patties over medium-high heat (on grill or skillet) until desired wellness.
5. Place cooked burgers over 1-2 romaine lettuce leaves, cover with cheese, pickles, sliced tomato, and mayonnaise. Fold over lettuce leaves to create a sandwich.
Joe's Comments: It is important to me to include grass-fed meat options in my diet, but most are also low-fat. To augment fat content as well as flavor, I add bacon grease, that I save from breakfast. The pureed onion and garlic add both flavor and moisture to this recipe.