Sweet Corn Ice Cream
"Nothing says summer more than sweet corn ice cream," says Ho-Ho-Kus Inn & Tavern proprietor, Laurie Hamm. The historic inn dates back to 1790. "Made with fresh picked New Jersey corn, it's one of our most popular desserts."
- 1-3/4 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (gently cut off the cob)
- Splash of Vanilla
- In a saucepan, add milk, cream, sugar, corn and vanilla.
- Let cook for about one hour on low heat. After one hour, turn heat up to boil. While you are waiting for those ingredients to boil, place egg yolks into a bowl.
- Once milk boils, temper by adding a small amount of hot milk mixture while whisking into egg yolks, a small amount at a time so that the end result is a nice liquid, NOT scrambled eggs.
- Add all back into the pot, cool completely or overnight. When ready to use ice cream machine, strain pieces of corn out of mixture and set aside. One a sheet pan, take corn kernels and spread them out.
- Bake at 350F to dry out for 10 minutes. Let cool. Spin ice cream in machine and add in corn kernels.
- Freeze until hard.