Red Quinoa Salad Mercado
Dos Caminos' Executive Chef Ivy Stark has crafted a Red Quinoa Salad Mercado - the salad combines spice and texture to the mix. As Chef Ivy states, "What I love about this salad is the same thing I love about Mexican cuisine in general - the varied assortment of bold flavors and textures. What differentiates this salad from your run-of-the-mill salads are the combination of textures from the quinoa and pine nuts with a nice kick from the pico de gallo and serrano vinaigrette."
- 1/2 cup Satur Farms mixed baby greens
- 4 asparagus spears, shaved paper thin
- 2 ounces lemon serrano vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1/2 cup cucumber pico de gallo
- 1/2 ounce lemon Serrano vinaigrette
- 1 ounce requeson
- 1/2 ounce toasted pine nuts
- Sprinkle chile lime sea salt
- 2 serranos, seeded and deveined
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mince the serrano peppers. Combine half of the minced pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and black pepper in a blender. Process until serrano pepper has been fully blended; with machine running, add olive oil until combined and mixture is thick. Whisk the remaining minced serrano pepper as a garnish.
Toss the baby greens and asparagus in 2 ounces of the vinaigrette and arrange on a chilled salad plate. Toss the quinoa and the cucumber pico de gallo in 1/2 ounce of the vinaigrette and place on top of the greens. Place the requeson to the side of the greens and sprinkle with the sea salt. Top with the toasted pine nuts.