Chef Mahin's Brioche Recipe
"Use a milk sponge and people will never know this was machine-made," says Chef Jeff Mahin about this easy-to-make brioche recipe.
- 190 grams King Arthur Sir Galahad or other flour
- 200 grams whole milk
- 1 gram active dry yeast
- 260 grams King Arthur Sir Galahad or other flour
- 30 grams sugar
- 175 grams butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 8 grams fine sea salt
- 3 grams instant yeast
- 390 grams milk sponge
1. Stir milk sponge ingredients in a bowl until combined. Allow to sit at room temperature (65º to 72º) for 3 to 4 hours, then refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, place milk sponge and bread dough ingredients in the machine and set for white loaf, medium crust or similar. Close the lid and go about your day.
3. You can expedite the process by combining all ingredients in the breadmaker and pressing start, but the sponge will give the bread a superior flavor and texture.