One of Mays' best known rubs will give you an excuse to use that backyard smoker. The Herbal Ember works as well on quail and duck as it does on chicken, offering a complex taste that lends poultry a light, but substantive savory kick.
Herbal Ember Rub
- 1/2 cup kosher salt, smoked
- 4 oz dried thyme, smoked
- 16 oz Italian leaf parsley (leaves only), smoked
- 4 oz oregano (leaves only), smoked
- 3 sprigs rosemary, smoked
- 1 1/2 cups dried oregano, smoked
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/2 cup granulated onion
- 2 tsp of a blend: 1/4 cup fenugreek and 1/4 cup cumin, toasted and blended
Throw the salt, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and oregano (leaves and dried) in a large bowl. Mix them up well and evenly distribute across several trays. Then place in a smoker set at 160 degrees and allow them to smoke for two hours. Once all the ingredients are well smoked, place the mix in a blender 1 1/2 cups at a time and pulse on high speed 4-6 times, for four seconds each. Pour the blended mix into a clean, large bowl, where you add the paprika, granulated onion, and fenugreek/cumin blend.