Make Your Own Dog Potato Chews
These all natural treats are easy to make and great for your dog. Sweet potatoes are great sources of dietary fiber, vitamin C, beta carotene, vitamin B6, and manganese, and are high in amino acids that help dogs build strong, lean muscle.
PRO-TIP: These are good treats to make when you’re watching a game or putzing around the house. They take minimal effort to prepare, but cook low and slow for about three hours.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed (no need to peel)
- Optional: turmeric, yogurt
- Preheat oven to 250° F.
- Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/3" slices.
- Place slices on a nonstick or lightly greased baking sheet (or directly on your oven racks if they’re clean).
- Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Will keep in airtight container in fridge for approximately three weeks, or on counter for one.
Variations: Once cool, dip half of each chew in thinned yogurt and/or dust with turmeric and place on wire rack to dry.