Unfortunately, the reason most of us go to restaurants is also the reason why they can be a health problem: someone else is making the food. If the food is improperly stored, handled, or cooked, it can infect diners. The stomach-churning Norovirus has been found to be the most common foodborne disease agent in restaurant food and most of the time the pathogen is spread because an infected person touched the food, often with their bare hands. Aside from the earlier tip about avoiding unpasteurized eggs, diners can also protect themselves by checking out the health grade of the restaurant and making sure hamburgers are cooked to 160°F (no pink in the middle).
Credit: Getty Images
Powered By ZergNet
Gear of the Year
102 of the Best Tools, Toys & Tech
Plus: The Woman Who Bails Out the NFL's Bad Boys
ON NEWSSTANDS NOW
Joby Ogwyn: The Man Who Fell to Earth
Life Advice from John Cleese
Sign up to receive the Men’s Journal newsletter and special offers from MJ and its marketing partners.