A Grain Trust recipe
Quinoa with Sweet Potato, Walnuts, and Kale
• 1 cup red quinoa
• 1 large sweet potato or yam
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup walnut halves
• Cayenne pepper
• 1 small bunch lacinato kale
• Red wine vinegar
• Optional protein: 1 strip bacon
• Cook according to instructions on package.
• Chop the sweet potato into a 1/2-inch pieces. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until sizzling.
• Put the skillet in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes.
• Flip the sweet potato pieces, and roast another 10 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
• Place the walnuts on a roasting pan in a 400°F oven for 7 minutes. (Set a timer: They burn easily.)
• Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and cayenne, and toss.
• Strip the stems and slice leaves into thin strips.
• Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until kale is wilted and tender.
• Combine 1 tbsp red wine vinegar with 3 tbsp olive oil, and mix well.
• Put the quinoa in a large bowl, add the sweet potato, kale, walnuts, and enough of the vinaigrette to coat, and toss.
• For extra protein, top with crumbled bacon.