You really have to stop buying guacamole at the grocery store. Instead, make it yourself. We asked Mauricio Lopez, executive chef of Hilton Los Cabos, to share his tips. Aside from searching for firm avocados, Lopez's secret to whipping up the perfect guac?
"Everything needs to be fresh," he says. Here are all the ingredients you'll need, including a jalapeño, if you want some heat, and you can watch Lopez make his recipe in our video below. So pick up some chips — or press your own like Lopez — and get to mashing.
Everyday Guacamole (Serves 2 to 4)
- 2 avocados, preferably Hass
- 1/4 cup diced red or white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño or Fresno pepper, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tomato, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mash up the avocado to your desired consistency.
- Add lime juice and salt and combine with the mashed avocado.
- Add tomatoes (dice into small cubes), cilantro (chopped), and season with more salt to your taste and mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Serve with crispy corn chips.
- Enjoy with a beer or tequila.
Get the latest recipes, beers news, and more delivered directly to your inbox. Sign up now for the Men’s Journal newsletter.