Spicy Carrot Salad
“This spicy carrot salad is a wonderful light summer dish because it's vibrant, full of flavor, and has just the right balance between sweet and spicy,” says Beyond Sushi's owner and Executive Chef Guy Vaknin.
- 3 medium-sized carrots
- 3 tablespoons Korean pepper paste
- 2 tablespoons Korean coarse chili flakes
- 6 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 1 ounce minced fresh garlic
- 1 ounce minced fresh ginger
- 3 ounces pure sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 ounce tamari
- 2 ounces chopped fresh cilantro
- Peel and place carrots in a pot. Cover with water. Bring water to a boil and turn off the flame. You want to semi-cook the carrots so they're still crunchy. Let sit in hot water for 5 minutes and then pull out and let cool. After they’re cooled, cut into 1/4-inch thick, 3-inch long sticks and place aside.
- Wisk all ingredients together in a bowl to make sauce to marinate carrots.
- Marinate carrot sticks in sauce overnight.
- Put inside your favorite sandwich, eat plain, or make great sushi.