Bollywood Chicken Tacos
Chef Hari Nayak of Utsav in New York City mashes up Indian cuisine and the traditional taco with their Bollywood Chicken Taco. And it's pretty simple to assemble: “[To create an IndiMex dish], I took the tandoori chicken, which is full of spices, and wrapped it in a soft taco shell with lettuce," says Nayak. If you want to get fancy, try serving with a mint chutney or a dollop of plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- 2 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- ½ tsp Asian chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 tsp salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp of malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup melted butter for basting
- Mint chutney for serving
- 8 small soft taco shells
- Shredded lettuce
- Mix together the Asian chili powder, paprika, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, yogurt, heavy cream, ginger, cumin, and Garam Masala in a small bowl to make a paste. Rub the paste over the chicken pieces evenly and into the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least four hours or overnight.
- To roast the chicken, preheat the oven to its highest setting. Take the chicken out of the marinade and place it on a rack in a rectangular baking pan or roaster. Roast at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes, or until done. Baste the chicken pieces with the melted butter during the roasting process.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow to cool slightly; spread out four soft-shell tacos and place shredded lettuce on each.
- Shred the chicken pieces and place on top of the lettuce. Wrap in the taco shell and secure the taco shell with a toothpick and serve warm.