Trailer Park Tacos
Playa Betty’s in New York City was opened by two life-long surfers who fueled their hours in the ocean with tacos. Adventurous diners will enjoy the Trailer Park Taco, which borrows from southern lunch culture to combine pimento cheese fritters with braised collard greens and fried green tomato relish. “This taco is the perfect hybrid of southern cuisine with a Mexican twist,” says Chef Adriana Maldonado.
Vegetable Collard Greens
- 5 bunches collard greens (cleaned)
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup paprika
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 Roma tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1 onion (small dice)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Note: You'll also need corn tortillas for the final step in this recipe.
- Wash collard greens at least three times.
- Remove the stems that run down the center.
- In a large pot add butter and garlic for at least three minutes or until onions are tender; do not let them brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook, add collard greens. Once the collards start to wilt, add vegetable stock, salt, and paprika cook on low heat for 45 minutes until tender.
- 12 oz Pimiento cheese
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 cups canola oil (for frying)
- Scoop pimiento cheese with a teaspoon. Shape cheese into small logs and freeze for about an hour.
- Combine eggs with cold water. In a bowl, take Rritz crackers and ground them up to the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Once the cheese is frozen, dip the cheese fritter in the flour, dust off the excess flour and dip into your egg wash and then into the Ritz crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-heat. Once the oil is hot, cook each side of the fritter for one-minute until golden brown.
Tomatillo Pico de Gallo
- 2 Roma tomatoes (small dice)
- 3 tomatillos (small dice)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and stemmed, small dice)
- 1/2 red onion (small dice)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add the salt to taste.
- To assemble the taco, take a corn tortilla, add collard greens and Pimento cheese fritter and finish off with tomatillo pico de gallo.