Manual Resistance Extension
This exercise will build the extensors on the back of your neck. Combined with exercises like shrugs, loaded carries, and deadlifts, these extensions are a great way to build a big upper back and prevent injury.
- Lay on your stomach on a flat bench.
- Have your partner place his hands over the back of your head and apply gentle pressure.
- Fighting against your partner's hand resistance, extend the neck back slightly, moving slowly through the range of motion. You're going for a slight lift — don't crane your neck all the way back.
- Once you reach end range, have your partner apply more pressure. Do your best to resist it until you reach a neutral head position.
- Repeat for 8-10 reps for 2-3 sets total.