Following a whirlwind weekend filled with charged contests and tape-measure tee shot, the Volvik World Long Drive Championship, presented by Performance Inspired, has seen the field narrowed to sixteen. Tonight's Round of Sixteen matches, broadcast live on Golf Channel at 9 pm, will pit seven of the top ten-ranked long driving competitors and a handful of upset-minded insurgents in an adrenaline-fueled contest of wills. In addition, tonight's telecast will feature the quarterfinals of the mixed-team pairings, with four men and four women advancing to tomorrow night's semi-finals. Here are tonight's matches in the Men's Open Division:
OPEN DIVISION (MEN’S) ROUND OF 16 MATCHES:
(1) Ryan Reisbeck (Layton, Utah) vs. (16) Wes Patterson (St. Louis, Mo.)
(8) Kevin Shook (Bradenton, Fla.) vs. (9) Mitch Grassing (Ottawa, Ont., Canada)
(4) Tim Burke (Orlando, Fla.) vs. (13) Stephen Kois (Wheaton, Ill.)
(5) Trent Scruggs (Hickory, N.C.) vs. (12) Kyle Berkshire (Orlando, Fla.)
(2) Justin James (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.) vs. (15) Bobby Bradley (Wellington, Fla.)
(7) Paul Howell (Wilson, N.C.) vs. (10) Steve Monroe (Clearwater, Fla.)
(3) Will Hogue (Memphis, Tenn.) vs. (14) Josh Cassaday (Denver, Colo.)
(6) Joe Miller (London, England) vs. (11) Nick Kiefer (Chicago, Ill.)
In the women's division, preliminary rounds are taking place today with the semi-finals to be broadcast on Golf Channel tomorrow evening starting at 9 pm. Intrigue settles around defending champion Phyllis Met attempting to stave off the challenge of former winners Chloe Garner and Troy Mullins, as well as the legendary four-time champion Sandra Carlborg.
All of the action takes place live from the WinStar World Casino in Thackersville, Oklahoma. Tune in live tonight to see which competitors find themselves one step closer to the cherished winner's belt and which of them comes up just short.