It's no secret that we're big fans of online retailer Frank and Oak, so with the dog days of summer upon us, we asked co-founder Ethan Song about his summer plans. Turns out the stylish entrepreneur is a lot like us, and just tries to keep it simple: His season will be full of rugged mountain hikes, music festivals in his hometown of Montreal, and beach days so he can fit in some R&R.
"When I want to get away from the city, I go to Banff for the fresh air and relaxing mountain views," he says. "But in general, I'm a beach town kind of guy. Whether it's Kauai or Sayulita, I love waking up to a healthy breakfast and going to the beach."
Song, who has become known for his always-ahead-of-the-curve personal style, shared his summer essentials with us. Here are his five must-haves for the season.
1. My weekender bag: "The roomy interior of this duffle bag makes it a perfect fit for everything I need during a weekend away. Plus, the shoulder strap makes it a breeze to carry through the airport." [Canvas and Leather Weekender Bag in Navy, $135, frankandoak.com]
2. Versatile summer shoes: "Riviera shoes are my favorite weekend companions. The flexible sole makes for an easy transition between urban exploration and visits to the beach. [Riviera's Hot Rod 20°, $75, rivieras-shoes.com]
3. A good linen shirt: "A short-sleeved linen shirt is always a good idea. It's easy to dress up or down, and the breathable material keeps things comfortable – even on the hottest summer days." [Short-Sleeved Linen Shirt in White, $45, frankandoak.com]
4. A GoPro: "I love revisiting moments that have made a difference in my life, so I always pack my GoPro when traveling. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey."
5. A good book: "These days I’m reading Creativity, Inc., by Ed Catmull, the co-founder of Pixar. I'm fascinated by what Ed built in company culture, and I value his determination to break the barriers of creativity."