As reported on www.montereyherald.com
A local surfing legend who drowned in big surf Dec. 4 was intoxicated by methamphetamine, said autopsy reports released Thursday. Peter Davi, 45, drowned while surfing at Ghost Trees near Pebble Beach’s Stillwater Cove.
Sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Richards said toxicology results show that Davi had a methamphetamine level of 0.75 milligrams per liter in his system at the time of his death. The level for potential toxicity is between 0.2 to 0.5 milligrams per liter.
“That is a lot,” said Richards.
Richards said the primary cause of death was asphyxiation from drowning, but that acute methamphetamine intoxication and blunt force head and chest trauma were “contributing factors” in his death.
Davi had just finished surfing a big wave when friends saw him paddling on his board. Witnesses told deputies that a few moments later they observed that the leash from his surfboard had snapped and Davi had disappeared in the water.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!