Avengers: Endgame was billed as the biggest movie of 2019. Based on the Avengers: Endgame box office, it could end up as one of the biggest movies ever. The 22nd movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe smashed numerous box office records in its first two weeks of release, including becoming the fastest film to reach $1 billion worldwide.
That wasn’t the only record Endgame hit over the first weekend. Avengers: Endgame made $1.2 billion overall at the worldwide box office, giving it the biggest worldwide opening of all time, beating Avengers: Infinity War, which made $640 million in 2018, according to Variety. The film also snagged the biggest North American opening weekend and largest international debut of any film, more than doubling the Fate of the Furious, which made $443 million.
Men’s Journal cover star Chris Evans is one of the major focal points of the movie, with his Captain America leading the Avengers in an assault for revenge against Thanos (Josh Brolin). Evans spoke in his feature story about the experience playing Captain America for a decade and shooting Avengers: Endgame.
“Downey’s character is obviously the crown jewel, constantly making mistakes and finding redemption,” Evans said in the feature story. “Cap is the steady hand on the wheel….When you’re playing a character for a long time, you start to see the parallels between what the character’s going through and what you’re going through. You start to look at your own conflicts and circumstances through the eyes of someone who might handle it better than you would…. For the last month of filming I was letting myself go to work every day and be a little overwhelmed and a little nostalgic and grateful. By the last day, I was bawling. I cry pretty easy, but I was definitely bawling.”
Here’s a rundown of some of the Avengers: Endgame box office records the movie hit since being released, with box office figures from Box Office Mojo:
- Fastest to $2 Billion Worldwide: Endgame has smashed the record, making it in just 11 days. Avatar, which was the previous record-holder for quickest film to $2 billion, took 47 days to hit that number.
- Biggest Domestic North American Opening Total: The entire box office made over $400 million for the first time, with Endgame making $350 million total.
- Imax Opening Record: The film topped Star Wars: The Force Awakens by making $91.5 million in Imax screenings.
- Best Opening Worldwide: The movie hit $1.2 billion in the worldwide box office over the Thursday night to Sunday opening weekend.
- Fastest to $1 Billion: The film made over $1 billion faster than any other film ever. Avengers: Infinity War did it in 11 days in 2018.
- Daily Total Records: The film set records across the weekend for daily totals. Over the weekend, Endgame set North American records on Friday ($156.7 million), Saturday ($109 million), and Sunday ($84.3 million).