Chris Pratt is taking a break from his mega franchises of Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World for a new action thriller, The Tomorrow War. The new film has a sci-fi premise where Pratt’s main character gets pulled from the past to fight in a future war against aliens that could decide the fate of humanity itself.
Pratt says fans should be excited about what’s to come: “The Tomorrow War is going to be epic—it’s like nothing you have ever seen before,” Pratt told Men’s Journal. “I can’t really reveal much, but I can tell you that you’re going to love it. Yvonne Strahovski is awesome in it, and so is J.K. Simmons. We’ve really become a family on set, and I think that will show on screen when audiences finally get a chance to check it out.”
For Pratt, this is another potential action franchise to jump-start in between his other major franchises. Pratt recently appeared in Avengers: Endgame, and coming up in the future alongside Tomorrow War he has Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (likely for a 2022 release), Jurassic World 3, the comic book adaptation Cowboy Ninja Viking, and he may also star in Taylor Sheridan’s (Yellowstone, Sicario) next action drama about a special forces operative working to take down a drug cartel.
Pratt shared this photo and some updates from the film on Instagram:
View this post on Instagram
This is my first time executive producing on a movie! And I can finally post about it!!! The title “Ghostdraft,” turned out to be problematic for various reasons so we started looking at other options… We went through: Generation Alien World War A Generation Gone Saving private Ryaalien WWZ2 but with As not Zs HORIZON WHITESPIKE HERO movie brought to you by Verizon JUrassic Draft GENERATION Draft Miller genuine Draft City Slickers Alien Dawn Rapture Dawn Apocalypse Dawn Hero Dawn Destiny war Saving tomorrow The Tomorrow War THE TOMORROW WAR THE TOMORROW WAR!!!! And that’s when it hit me…. We’re calling it #TheTomorrowWar So get ready, cause I’m gonna auction off a set visit very soon. Details coming. And you’re gonna be seeing a lot of pics and posts from set!!! 🙏👍🏼♥️👽☠️
Here’s a look at all the key stuff you should know about The Tomorrow War:
- The Star: Chris Pratt is playing the lead role, a husband and father who is drafted from the past to fight a war in the future that “relies on his ability to confront his past,” according to Variety.
- Release Date: The film is set for a December 25, 2020 release.
- The Director: Chris McKay. Pratt has previously worked with McKay on The LEGO Movie, as McKay served as an animation co-director on that film.
- The Plot: The film is set in the future where humanity is fighting a war and losing to an alien invasion, so to fight back, scientists develop a way to draft soldiers from the past to fight the war.
- The Shooting Locations: The film shot in multiple countries, including in Iceland, which helped give the movie a “global” feel, according to Pratt. The actor spoke about the film on The Ellen Show in February, saying that the movie went to Iceland and shot on a massive glacier that was “was never shot on” before in a film.
- The Cast: Along with Pratt, Oscar-winner J.K. Simmons has joined the cast alongside Betty Gilpin (GLOW) and Sam Richardson (Veep). Simmons will reportedly play Pratt’s Father (Hollywood Reporter), while Richardson and Gilpin’s characters are currently unknown. Yvonne Strahovski (The Handmaid’s Tale) already joined the film in July, and will play a woman who Pratt’s character meets in the future, according to The Wrap.
- More Cast Members Join Up: Along with the above mentioned actors, The Tomorrow War has added Mary Lynn Rajskub (24) and Edwin Hodge (The Purge) to the cast, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The film has also added Seychelle Gabriel from Falling Skies, Alan Trong from Alita: Battle Angel, Alexis Louder from Harriet, as well as “newcomer” Chibuikem Uche, according to Deadline.
- The Producers: Pratt himself is setting a personal milestone on this film: “Working on The Tomorrow War is the first time I’m taking a producing role on one of my films,” Pratt says. “Being an actor, your day ends when they call wrap. But the day doesn’t end for a producer. You have to be involved with budgets, creative, worry about meeting deadlines, and everything else. It’s truly been such a rewarding opportunity to stretch out of my comfort zone to take on a larger leadership role and grow in learning a side of the business I haven’t experienced before.”
- The Backers: Skydance will be producing and financing the film. The company knows its way around the action genre, as it previously produced Mission: Impossible—Fallout, the Star Trek franchise, and has movies like Top Gun: Maverick, Terminator: Dark Fate, and Will Smith’s Gemini Man coming up.
Pratt recently shared on Instagram a look at a bunch of concept art created for the movie:
View this post on Instagram
One of the biggest thrills of film production is seeing concept art work in various forms. I grew up with a pencil in my hand. I drew everything- draw 50 horses, I copied images from comic books, marvel, dc, Conan, a lot of super heroes, plus characters from various RPGs like Rifts and Mech Warrior, I painted murals on my bedroom walls. I was always doodling. And i respect the hell out of free hand artists. So to see my face drawn on images such as the ones above is really surreal. Mad respect to the artists out there. And big ups to the kids out there drawing. Pencils and paper are cheap. Art is an amazing way to build confidence. This Christmas get your kid a pencil and sketch pad. @thetomorrowwar
Here’s a look at how actors Yvonne Strahovski and Keith Powers trained for some of the action scenes:
View this post on Instagram
As one of the fittest guys in Hollywood, Pratt likely will be training hard for the role. Here are the workouts he previously used to train for Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, and Zero Dark Thirty. Pratt likely will be using similar training plans for this new film.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!