Recipe: Fiesta Chicken and Black Bean Soup
A hearty soup filled with protein and fiber can be paired with a sandwich for a hearty lunch or have a large bowl as a muscle-building snack.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 hour
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium yellow or red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 oz) can of tomatoes
1 (4.5 oz) can of chopped green chilis
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1½ cups water
2 tablespoons masa harina
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, heat canola oil over medium flame. Add onions and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes), remove from heat.
2. Mix the masa harina with the water and set aside
3. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker in the order listed with the chicken breasts sitting on top. Pour the masa harina and water mixture over the chicken. Add the sautéed onions to the slow cooker.
4. Set on low for 8 hours and then keep warm.
5. After the soup is finished, take two forks to shred the chicken, which is moist and tender.
6. Top with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 156; Total Fat: 3 grams; Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams; Protein: 17 grams: Carbohydrates: 15 grams; Sugar: 1 gram; Fiber: 4.5 grams; Cholesterol: 35 milligrams; Sodium: 553 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Sarah Pflugradt, MS, RDN of Salubrious RD.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top