8. Southern Fried Green or Yellow Tomatoes
Use tomatoes that are very firm. They usually aren’t very large, so count on two per person. Serve with thick slices of gluten-free country ham or Irish bacon.
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup gluten-free cornmeal
- 2 whole large eggs, whisked in a large flat soup bowl
- 8 green or yellow tomatoes, cores removed, cut in 1⁄3″ slices
- Oil for frying
- Spread the flour mixed with salt and pepper on one sheet of wax paper and the cornmeal on another. Place the whisked eggs in a bowl between the two.
- Dip the tomato slices first in the flour, then in the egg, and coat them with cornmeal.
- Heat ½ inch of oil in a frying pan to 350°F. Slide the tomato slices in and fry for 4 minutes or until well browned. Turn and finish frying.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve as a side dish with eggs and bacon. As an extra fillip, you can add a dollop of gluten-free sour cream to each tomato slice.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top