Cauliflower Pizza Bites
These alternatives to frozen pizza bites use cauliflower to create a delicious dough, which is then filled with delicious cheese. As opposed to most packaged pizza bites, at least you can pronounce all the ingredients in this homemade version.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 50 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower (should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed), washed and chopped (remove stems)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 – 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/8 – 1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
2 low fat string cheese sticks, cut into 6-8 smaller pieces each
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray pizza pan (or baking sheet) with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets (you don’t need much stem). Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get rice shaped pieces. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean dish towel and allow to cool.
3. Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and ring the heck out of it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible to ensure it will stick together.
4. Add ringed out cauliflower into a large mixing bowl. Add egg, shredded cheese, seasonings, and pizza sauce (may even need to mix with hands).
5. Form “dough” into a ball. Break away portions of the dough (about 2-3 teaspoons) and form bottom portion of a ball, stuff with string cheese piece, and add another 2 teaspoons of dough to complete other side of ball. Roll in hands to form nice ball shape and place on pizza or baking sheet. Repeat with remainder of dough.
6. Once all pizza balls are ready, place baking sheet in oven. Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. If balls do not starting browning or get crusty outer shells increase oven temp to 450 degrees and cook another 3-5 minutes (you just want to make sure you get the inside cooked).
7. Optional: can serve with additional pizza sauce
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 42; Total Fat: 2 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 3 grams: Carbohydrates: 3 grams; Sugars: 1 gram; Fiber: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 20 milligrams; Sodium: 132 milligrams
Recipe by Kristen Smith, MS, RDN, LD, founder of 360 Family Nutrition.Back to top