General Tso’s Cauliflower
This lightened up version is made without loads of oil and sugar and is a delicious, vegan alternative to take out.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 37 minutes
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets, stem removed
1 cup unsweetened soy milk or almond milk
1 cup panko bread crumbs (use homemade gluten-free or store bought gluten-free crumbs for GF version)
½ cup whole-wheat or regular flour- use gluten-free flour for GF version
1⅔ cup water
⅓ cup soy sauce or Tamari
¼ cup apricot jam
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1¼ tbsp fresh grated ginger
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place the milk, breadcrumbs, and flour in separate shallow bowls.
3. One at a time, dip the cauliflower floret into the flour, then milk, and then the panko breadcrumbs.
4. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes until golden brown.
While the cauliflower is cooking, whisk together the water, soy sauce, apricot jam, hoisin, cornstarch, and vinegar.
5. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add in the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant.
6. Whisk in the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
7. Remove cauliflower from oven and coat with sauce.
8. Serve with brown rice and garnish with sesame seeds and/or scallions.
Per serving with ¼ cup dressing:
Calories: 357; Total Fat: 6.8 grams; Protein: 10.6 grams; Carbohydrates: 65 grams; Fiber: 4.5 grams
Recipe and photo provided by Alexandra Caspero MA, RD of Delish KnowledgeBack to top