7. Hawaiian omelet
Protein-packed eggs can be eaten at any meal. This creative omelet uses pineapple mango salsa and Canadian bacon for a balance of sweet and salty flavors. And while eggs do contain cholesterol, studies show that it doesn’t influence your body’s cholesterol levels as much as once thought—that’s why the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans once again include eggs as a recommended food.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
1 tablespoon water
2 slices Canadian bacon, diced
1/4 cup pineapple mango salsa (or 1/4 cup diced pineapple)
1/4 cup shredded part skim, low fat mozzarella cheese
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Grind of black pepper
1. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the water, salt and pepper – whisk again until light and fluffy.
2. Ready all your ingredients beside the stove.
3. Heat a small saucepan over medium high heat until it’s very hot, but not scorching. Remove the pan from the heat and liberally spray it with non-stick vegetable spray – bottom and sides. 4. 4. Return the pan to the heat and add the eggs.
5. Swirl the eggs around in the pan so that they coat the bottom and go half way up the sides. 6. Continue this swirling process over the heat until the eggs have mostly set and they are no longer runny.
6. Sprinkle the Canadian bacon onto one half of the eggs. Sprinkle the cheese over the bacon and then top with salsa or pineapple.
7. Using a very thin and flexible spatula (a fish spatula if you have one), carefully fold the omelet over on itself and lightly press with the spatula. Continue to cook for 30 seconds or so, holding the top of the omelet in place. Remove from heat and slide the omelet onto a plate. Serve.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 293; Total Fat: 17 grams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Protein: 27 grams: Carbohydrates: 7 grams; Sugar: 4 grams; Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 407 milligrams; Sodium: 987 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Lisa Lotts of Garlic & Zest.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top