Slow Cooked Beef Short Rib Summer Style
“Who said slow cookers are only for cold weather comfort food?! Try out this recipe to fulfill those comfort food blues this summer!” says Victor Rallo Jr., New York Emmy Award Nominee, host of the TV show Eat!Drink!Italy! with Vic Rallo (season 3 will be airing this fall), and owner of the two New Jersey Italian restaurants, Undici’s (which received the coveted three-star award from The World of Fine Wines annual World’s Best Wine List 2014) and BIRRAVINO.
- 4 pieces of boneless beef short rib 8–10 ounces each
- 4 pieces chopped pancetta
- 1 cup chopped celery, carrot, onion combined
- 1 quart veal or beef stock
- 1 bottle of Barbera wine
- 2 jersey tomato cut in wedges
- 2 ears of jersey corn grilled and shaved off the cob
- julienne fresh mint
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- salt pepper and olive oil as always
- Before turning on the slow cooker for its 8–10 hour journey we need to brown the pancetta in a 12-inch sauté pan with two tablespoons of olive oil at medium heat when the pancetta gets golden brown add chopped celery, carrot, and onion mixture to pan and continue to sauté for 5 minutes season with salt and pepper. Pour sauté pan ingredients into slow cooker.
- In same sauté pan heat pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil at medium-high heat. While the pan is heating run liberal amounts of salt and pepper onto all sides of each short rib. When the sauté pan is hot sear all sides of short ribs until brown on each side. When all short ribs are seared place them into slow cooker add equal amounts of stock and Barbera wine to slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- After 8-10 hours when short ribs are falling apart gently remove short ribs from the slow cooker. Sift sauce in slow cooker through a sieve or strainer. recombine ribs and sauce in slow cooker.
- Mix tomatoes, corn, red onion and mint with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- To plate: Place a table spoon full of sauce on each 10 inch round plate and place a short rib in the center of the sauce. Place salad next to short rib as shown in the photo. Garnish short rib with julienne fresh mint.