Tilapia with Spicy Breadcrumbs and Lemon
“I work with fish so much that it’s hard for me to have perspective sometimes. I just want to roast or pan-sear fish with a drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon juice because that’s how my family and I have always eaten fish at home,” says Louis Rozzo, fourth generation of Rozzo men to run the family’s wholesale fish business, F. Rozzo & Sons.
- 2 tilapia fillets, skinned, 6–8 oz each
- Kosher salt
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups toasted, seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- Season both sides of the tilapia fillets with salt. Put the eggs in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, paprika, dry mustard, and red pepper flakes in another. Dip each piece of tilapia in the egg (on both sides) and then the breadcrumbs. Shake any excess off each one. Arrange then on a baking sheet fitted with parchment.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until it smokes lightly. Add the tilapia fillets in a single layer and cook over medium heat on one side until golden brown, 3–5 minutes. Turn the fillets over and cook 3–5 additional minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon and serve immediately.