Bourbon Maple Glazed Brisket
“Classic ingredients and preparation are the building blocks of flavor, but the addition of bourbon and Very Dark Maple both compliments the dish and adds layers of complexity,” says Sherri Hulsizer, Chef, Crown Maple at Madava Farms.
- 1 (1.5 lbs.) brisket
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced large
- 1 large carrot diced large
- 1 large celery stick diced large
- 4 cremini mushrooms
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 oz. dry red wine
- 2 oz. Bourbon (suggest Maker’s Mark)
- 1 qt. veal stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup Crown Maple Very Dark
- Rub salt and pepper evenly over brisket.
- Sear brisket with vegetable oil over medium-high heat around all edges in a stockpot or cast-iron pot.
- Remove from pan, reduce heat and sauté diced onion, carrots and mushrooms until soft and tender.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until a sweet aroma develops.
- Add wine and bourbon and cook until liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the veal stock, place the brisket back in and bring back to a simmer.
- Cover pot with lid and place in a 275°F oven. Cook for 1 hour, then carefully add bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 1 additional hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove from the pot let stand 15 20 minutes and slice.
- Add Crown Maple Very Dark and bourbon to the sauce and simmer until sauce thickens. Taste glaze and add seasoning as needed. Pour maple glaze over the hot brisket and serve immediately.