Mesquite smoked turkey breast with POM rum barbecue sauce
The sauce on this turkey breast is made with a delicious combination of rum and 100% pomegranate juice. When it comes to working out, there may be one beverage you haven’t thought of yet– 100% pomegranate juice—which is powered by unique polyphenols that early research suggests has promising results for muscle strength recovery. Further, 100% pomegranate juice is also a good source of potassium, an electrolyte known for its role in fluid balance and muscle function.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
For the turkey breast
1 boneless raw turkey breast
6 strips bacon
For the POM-Rum Barbecue Sauce
Juice from 1 POM Wonderful Pomegranate or ½ cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
4 tablespoons POM Molasses
1 chopped sweet onion
2 oz. butter
3 ancho chilies, stems and seeds removed
2 cloves garlic
10 oz. ketchup
2 oz. brown sugar
1 cup ruby port wine
4 oz. dark rum
3 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2½ cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the turkey breast
1. Wrap turkey breast in bacon and place in a warm smoker over mesquite wood.
2. Cook slowly until the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. If using a gas grill, turn one burner on high and leave one burner off.
3. Place the turkey on the cold side and a foil pack filled with mesquite wood chips over the hot side. Pull down the lid and cook until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Allow the turkey to rest after cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, slice and top with the POM-rum barbecue sauce.
For the POM-rum barbecue sauce
1. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice (if using fresh).
2. In a saucepan, sweat chopped onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add in ancho chilies, and then the rum; allow to flame. When flame goes out, add remaining ingredients except chives and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
4. Check for seasonings and add in fresh chives.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 380; Protein: 43 grams; Total Fat: 19 grams; Carbohydrates: 8 grams; Sugar: 5 grams
Recipe and photo by POM Wonderful
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top