Setas a la Plancha
Mushrooms a la Plancha with a farm egg, as presented by a Barcelona-inspired tapas restaurant from James Beard Award–winning chefs Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonnette. “These are one of Ken and my’s favorite tapas when we’re in San Sebastien, Spain. There’s always such beautiful mushrooms there, and you can get this dish at multiple locations. When we’re on our pintxos crawl we’ll often order it multiple times in a day. Our recipe works even if you don’t have a hot plancha at home, and can be simplified with just olive oil, salt and pepper; but the addition of soy sauce, espelette and herbs takes it to the next level,” says chef/co-owner Jamie Bissonnette of Toro, with locations in Boston and New York.
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms
- 1 each shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 bunch parsley, picked and leaves chopped, stems left whole and separate
- 1/2 bunch chives, thin sliced
- 4 eggs, yolk only
- 1/4 cup veg or mushroom stock
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- To taste — salt and pepper
- pinch espelette
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- As needed canola oil (to sear)
- 1 lemon — for juice
- In a large flat pan, cook the mushrooms with thyme, and parsley stems on high heat to sear them in canola oil. Do this in smaller batches so when cooking 1/4 of the bottom of the pan is visible (this will mimic that plancha technique and ensure that the mushrooms sear and cook evenly).
- Once all are cooked, melt 1 tbsp of butter in the same pan, and return all of the mushrooms. When they are hot, add the soy and the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust with seasoning, and lemon. Finish with butter and the extra virgin olive oil, parsley and 3/4 of the sliced chives. Divide into serving bowls. Place an egg yolk on a spoon, and rest in the center of the hot mushrooms. Season yolks with remaining chives, sea salt and espelette.
- To eat: mix the yolk into the mushrooms.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top