Fettuccine with Scallops, Red Pepper and Lime
“My Fettuccine with Scallops, Avocado and Lime is a great dish year-round, but especially in the warmer months of summer. The spice rub adds some heat and depth of flavor to the scallops, the avocado adds a nice buttery richness, and the lime and fresh herbs bring a bright lightness to the whole dish,” says Iron Chef Cat Cora, whose restaurants include Cat Cora’s Kitchen in the Houston, Salt Lake City and San Francisco Airports, and the new Fatbird in New York City. “It’s healthy and delicious served both hot or cold and is a colorful, delicious and vibrant dish.”
- 16 Medium Scallops (rinsed and patted dry)
- 2 tsp. ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Fettuccine
- 2 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Fish or Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp. Lime zest
- 4 tbsp. (½ stick) unsalted cold Butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 Avocado (Pitted, peeled, and diced)
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Meanwhile, toss the scallops with the spices, 2 tsp. salt, and black pepper and let sit for about 10 minutes.
3. Add 2 tsp. of salt and the fettuccine to the boiling water, stirring.
4. While the pasta cooks, add the oil to a 12-inch skillet and place it over high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer but not smoke, sauté the scallops until almost cooked through, about 1 minute per side.
5. With a slotted spoon, quickly transfer the scallops to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
6. Pour the broth into the pan and cook until reduced by half.
7. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
8. Add the red pepper flakes, lime zest, and half of the butter pieces to the pan, whisking until the sauce is melted and smooth.
9. Add the remaining butter pieces and whisk until the sauce thickens. toss together the sauce, cooked pasta, and cilantro.
10. Add some of the reserved pasta water if the mixture isn’t saucy enough, and toss. Divide the pasta among bowls.
11. Distribute the scallops and diced avocado among the bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve immediately.Back to top