Chilled Corn Soup with Smoked Paprika Oil
“I’m always inspired by produce in its proper season and corn during late summer couldn’t be more perfect. I really wanted to highlight the sweetness found in corn complementing it with several ingredients that make the soup special – Peeky Toe Crab for richness and smoked paprika oil for a hint of char that you would find in grilled corn,” Chef Brad Farmerie of Saxon + Parole.
“Traditional corn chowders or corn soups are made with cream or similar thickening agent and are served hot. Because we wanted to celebrate sweet corn in the height of its season, summer, we focused on making it a chilled soup that really allows you to taste the sweetness of the corn. Additionally, this soup is completely vegan, so no creams or dairy products were used to thicken it, but it remains velvety and smooth while being light and fresh.” In addition to being served at Saxon + Parole in NYC, this dish is also served on JetBlue MINT flights (JetBlue’s premium-only service) which Brad and Saxon + Parole do the food program for.
- 9 corn cobs
- 1/2 large jalapeno
- 1/2 sheet Kombu
- 2 dried shitakes
- 3.5 Liters water
- 1 small bay leaf
- Bring all ingredients for corn stock to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain and refrigerate until needed.
- 1/2 large onion- peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery- chopped
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic- sliced
- 1/4 head of fennel-sliced
- 2 teaspoons peeled turmeric- finely chopped
- 1/2 thumb ginger- peeled and minced
- Corn kernels from 9 ears
- Sweat the onions, celery, garlic, fennel, turmeric and ginger until very soft.
- Add the corn and continue cooking.
- When corn is cooked, add about 2.5L warm corn stock and simmer 45 minutes. Vita Prep and season.
Smoked Paprika Oil
- 1 Tablespoon mild smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup blended oil
- In a sauce pan, combine paprika, water and salt.
- Place the pot on medium heat until it begins to bubble.
- Place on low heat (cool side of the flat top) and cook until it forms a crust. Add oil, bring to just over blood temperature, and cook for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature and let sit for 30 minutes- 1 hour.
- Strain through chinoise (this should leave all sediment behind)
Note: This will keep refrigerated indefinitely.
To plate per portion:
- 2 Tablespoons Peeky Toe lump crab
- 4 teaspoons corn
- 1/8th avocado diced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika oil
- Micro cinlantro-5 pcs
- Bloomed Scallions- pinch
In a mixing bowl combine crab, corn, diced avocado and chives. Pour soup into bowl. Place crab and corn mixture on top. Drizzle smoked paprika oil sporadically throughout bowl. Garnish with scallions and micro cilantro.Back to top