Southern Fried Sweet Corn with Bacon
“I love fresh summer corn, and this recipe calls for cutting off the kernels and scraping the corn’s “milk” in the pan, too, which makes the mixture extra creamy. Frying the corn in butter preserves its just-shucked flavor and brings out the natural sugars. The corn is layered with flavors of mild red bell pepper and crispy, savory bacon, and topped with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. The preparation couldn’t be simpler, but I predict it’ll be the first dish to go at your next cookout,” says Eliza Cross, author of 101 Things To Do With Bacon.
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and cleaned
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, slice the corn off of the cob and scrape each cob into the bowl to release the milk.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large frying pan.
- Add the bell pepper and cook until softened.
- Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in the crumbled bacon, salt, and pepper and cook 1 minute more.