Celebrity Chef Devin Alexander (Chef on NBC’s The Biggest Loser, hosted a show on Discovery Health and Fit Tv called Healthy Decadence with Devin Alexander, then hosted one on PBS called America’s Chefs on Tour) is a multi-time NY Times Bestselling Author with 8 cookbooks, 5 of which are the Biggest Loser Cookbooks, from where this recipe originates. “This is a really great dish for picnics. You can serve it as a side dish or with baked chips for scooping. Trust me, it sounds a heck of a lot fancier than it is…and much less expensive. And though I often, throughout the book, suggest that you use “refrigerated, not jarred” salsas, it’s simply because the ingredients taste fresher and richer. And since it’s rare that I go to the grocery store and can’t find at least one brand of fresh salsa on sale (they also sell it at most club stores), I always opt for that whenever possible,” says Alexander. Her Texas caviar puts a light and fresh spin on a summery favorite.
- 15-ounce can 50% less-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-1/4 ounce can 50% less-sodium whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup fresh salsa or pico de gallo (refrigerated, not jarred)
- 1/2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large glass or plastic mixing bowl, or a large re-sealable plastic container.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.