Recipe: Spanakopita Turkey Casserole
Healthy spanakopita is possible in this high protein casserole providing 35 grams per serving! Together with quinoa, lean ground turkey, and cheese, it’s an outstanding muscle-building dish.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour, 5 minutes
1 cup dry quinoa
1/2 chopped red onion
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1¼ lbs ground 99% lean ground turkey
1 box (12 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 cups chicken stock + 3/4cup chicken stock divided
¾ cup feta
¾ cup four-cheese Italian blend
1 tablespoon garlic
1tablespoon Italian seasoning blend (or 1/4tsp basil, oregano, and thyme)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook quinoa according to package directions, substituting the water for chicken broth. Allow quinoa to cool completely before using in casserole.
3. Sauté red onion in grapeseed oil for 3-4 minutes on medium until translucent. Add in ground turkey and sauté until cooked completely (no pink remains).
4. In a large bowl combine everything (turkey/onion mix, seasonings, feta, eggs, spinach, parsley, and chicken broth) except four cheese blend.
5. Mix well until mixture looks well combined and transfer into a cooking oil sprayed 9×13 baking dish. Smooth and compact it with the back of a large spoon. Sprinkle four-cheese blend over the top of the casserole.
6. Bake for 40 minutes until casserole is set and it begins to turn golden brown.
7. Turn broiler on and broil for 3-4 minutes to get a nice crunchy crust.
8. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 375; Total Fat: 15 grams; Protein: 35 grams: Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Recipe and photo Kelli Shallal, MPH, RD, CPT of the Hungry Hobby Food & Fitness Blog.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top