Shakshuka with Tahini Yogurt
This one pot Middle Eastern delight combines eggs with tomato, vegetables, and herbs. If you’re up for the challenge, add a touch of harissa, a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste. Hot peppers contain a compound call capsaicin, shown to slightly increase your metabolism several hours after eating.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 teaspoons harissa (less if you don’t like it spicy)
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, depending on your preference
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 (14-oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
4-6 large eggs
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1. Add the oil to a large oven proof pan over medium heat. Add the harissa, tomato paste, onion, peppers and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the peppers and onions have softened.
2. Add the cumin, thyme and tomatoes by crushing each tomato gently with your hands before adding to the pan. Stir, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the tomato sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
3. Using a spoon, make 4 indents in the tomato sauce and gently break an egg into each one. Continue simmering for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
4. While the eggs are cooking, mix the yogurt, tahini and lemon juice together.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, pour the tahini yogurt over top, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 347; Total Fat: 24 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Protein: 18 grams: Carbohydrates: 18 grams; Sugar: 8 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 282 milligrams; Sodium: 443 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Caroline Chambers.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top