Healthy Burgers with Hummus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, very finely minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup roasted red pepper hummus, divided
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 whole-wheat or gluten-free hamburger buns, toasted
- ½ red bell pepper, finely sliced
- ½ cup cabbage, shredded
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until it softens and slightly caramelizes, about 4 minutes. Add the onion to a bowl with the beef, ¼ cup hummus, pepper, and salt. Mix until well incorporated, then form into 4 ¾-inch patties. Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the center of each burger.
- Place burgers on a grill heated to medium, close the lid and cook on both sides, about 6–8 minutes per side, until they reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- To serve, place the bell peppers on the bottom half of the buns, top with the burger and a tablespoon of hummus, and garnish with the shredded cabbage.
Recipe and photo courtesy Abbey Sharp, RD @ Abbey’s Kitchen
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top