Open Faced Italian Grilled Cheese with Cauliflower Toast
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped, leaves and stems removed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- dash sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan Romano cheese blend
- 1 cup of part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet and spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse cauliflower florets in small batches until a rice consistency is achieved. Remove rice like cauliflower from food processor in small batches one at a time and place on the baking sheet. Heat for 10–15 minutes to remove excess moisture. Keep oven on but remove baking sheet and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, salt, eggs, Parmesan Romano cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and bread crumbs. Mix together. Once cauliflower has cooled, add this to the bowl and mix well.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and respray with nonstick oil, liberally.
- Portion mixture into 5 toast like squares on the baking sheet. Bake at 450ºF for 15 minutes. Remove and flip, baking for an additional 12 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven, place 2 spoonfuls of marinara sauce on each toast and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the top. Place back in oven for an additional 3–5 minutes to melt cheese. Remove once melted and let cool a few minutes. Enjoy and top with some fresh basil!
Recipe and photo courtesy Elizabeth Shaw @ Shaw’s Simple Swaps
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top