Healthy Gingerbread Spice Cake with Butternut Squash Puree
• ¼ cup melted extra virgin coconut oil, plus more for wiping pan
• 2 cups biodynamic whole wheat flour or Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gluten free flour
• ¼ cup flaxseeds
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon allspice
• ¼ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
• ½ cup coconut palm sugar
• 1 organic, pastured egg
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen butternut squash puree, thawed (or 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree)
• ½ cup organic coconut milk
• ¼ cup molasses
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with extra virgin coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, fresh ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt; set aside.
3. In a high-speed blender, add the sugar, coconut oil and egg; process until smooth and creamy. Add the butternut squash puree, coconut milk, molasses and vanilla extract and process again until ingredients are well-blended. Add wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake on the middle rack in the center of the oven until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan before turning the cake out onto a rack to cool completely.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top