Frozen margaritas and tequila shots with salt and lime—bor-ing. Not really, but these drinks are everywhere on Cinco de Mayo. If you want to wow your friends on May 5—and maybe torture their taste buds a little—then you’ll need some seriously kicked up cocktail recipes. What we have in mind: drinks that take on heat from ingredients like hot sauce, jalapenos, and habanero chilies. From a spicy, bacon-infused Bloody Mary to a Tabasco-beer blend, these takes on the classics will add fire to your weekend fiesta.
- Tajin seasoning
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup Clamato
- Dash Maggi
- Dash Tabasco
- 1 12-ounce amber beer of choice
- Celery stalk (optional)
- Moisten rim of glass with a lime and coat with Tajin seasoning.
- Add ice, lime juice, Clamato, Maggi, Tabasco, and beer. Garnish with a celery stalk. Enjoy before the ice melts.
Recipe courtesy of Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, co-author of Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor and the recipe blog muybuenocookbook.com. Photo: Veronica Gonzalez-Smith.
- Fry ½ pound bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Chop and add to 1 liter Tito’s Handmade Vodka.
- Let sit 3 to 7 days until desired flavor is reached.
- Slice 1 jalapeno into discs and add to bacon-flavored vodka.
- Let sit 10 to 60 minutes, until desired heat is reached, then strain off the liquid.
- Enjoy straight over ice or add to a Bloody Mary mix (shown) or martini.
Tip: To infuse your cocktail with a true bacon flavor opposed to a smoky, nitrate-y taste, use non-smoked bacon, like center cut uncured bacon.
Recipe courtesy of Tito’s Handmade Vodka. Photo: FRANK in Austin, Texas.
CUCUMBER AND FIRE ROASTED JALAPENO MARGARITA
- Flash blend ¼ cucumber (peeled), ¼ fire roasted jalapeno (seeds and veins removed), 2 ounces Kah Anejo Tequila, and 1 ounce fresh lime juice.
- Serve over ice or in a martini glass.
- Garnish with fresh jalapeno wheel and fresh lime.
ORANGE HABANERO MARGARITA
- Cut ¼ peeled fresh orange and place in a cocktail shaker. Add a pinch of fresh habanero chili and one pour of agave syrup.
- Muddle until mixed well.
- Add 2 ounces Suaza Tres Generaciones Reposado Tequila, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, another drop of agave syrup, and a splash of Grand Marnier.
- Shake vigorously.
- Pour over ice or blend and serve frozen.
- Garnish with fresh orange and fresh lime.
Recipes and photos courtesy of Blue Bonnet. These signature margaritas are a collaborative effort between Blue Bonnet’s 18-year veteran head chef, Luis Galvez, and bar manager and master mixologist John Duvernet, another 18-year veteran at the Denver restaurant.
DRINKO DE CINCO SHOT
- 2 parts Hornitos Plata Tequila
- 3⁄4 part lime juice
- 1⁄2 part agave nectar
- 3 slices each of jalapeno and oregano
- Pour ingredients into a shaker, shake, and double strain into shot glasses.
Makes: 2 shots
Recipe and photo courtesy of Hornitos Tequila.