It’s Cinco de Mayo and you’re tempted to splurge, but with beach days on the way, you’re going to do it within reason. And we’re here to help. We’ve compiled a list of tasty Tex-Mex meals and snacks that are packed with protein and nutrients, and lower in fat than the dishes you’d find at your favorite Mexican food joint. So, instead of getting your fiesta food fix from cheesy enchiladas or taco pie, try these slimmed down south-of-the-border staples and you’ll still have room for a couple of celebratory cervezas.
1. Crunchy Herbed Guacamole Chopped radishes and chives add volume (and crunch), and help cut down on the amount of avocado you’ll be scooping up with every bite (because hey, at the end of the day healthy fat is still fat).
2. 7-Layer Dip Full-fat sour cream and cheese, refried beans, ground beef, and guac make traditional seven-layer dip notoriously high in calories and fat. But this healthier version, made with reduced-fat cheese and sour cream, Greek yogurt, black beans, homemade guac, salsa, and fresh vegetables, slashes fat in half.
3. Chorizo Nachos Extra-lean pork and black beans help keep this loaded nachos recipe to under 350 calories. Plus, it’s bulked up enough to be a meal on its own.
4. Stuffed Peppers Estia Ninety-five percent lean ground beef helps you keep tabs on fat and delivers 24 g of protein per serving. Cut even more fat by using ground turkey instead of ground beef.
5. Spicy Tuna Tacos Canned tuna…in a taco? Sure, it sounds strange, but once you mix the fish with tomatoes, chilies, cilantro, and lime juice, you won’t miss the beef.
6. Ceviche This gluten-free, Paleo-friendly seafood dish weighs in at only 221 calories and 9 g of fat per serving. Plus, it just looks great on a plate.