Spaghetti Squash alla Carbonara
“This carbonara dish will have you saying, ‘that’s paleo?’ while you marvel at how quickly and easily it comes together,” said Stacy Toth, one-half of Paleo Parents with her husband, Matthew McCarry, and co-author of Real Life Paleo: 175 Gluten-Free Recipes, Meal Ideas, and an Easy 3-Phased Approach to Lose Weight & Gain Health. “If you can’t find spaghetti squash, any spiralized vegetable will work well with the creamy, delicious sauce.”
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 12 ounces nitrate-free bacon
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (or herbs de provence)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 heaping tbsp lard (or butter)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place open side down on a plate and microwave for 10 minutes (alternatively, bake for 40 minutes at 350º).
- While the squash is cooking, fry up the strips of bacon (whole) in a pan over medium heat. Use one you can also scramble eggs in, we like a cast iron skillet. When the bacon is finished cooking and crispy, remove from the pan and set-aside bacon.
- Over medium heat, whisk in the arrowroot powder to the bacon grease and let cook for a few minutes. While the arrowroot cooks, combine eggs, coconut milk, seasoning, parsley, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl until all yolks are fully incorporated.
- Pour eggs into pan, stirring frequently, and cook in bacon fat until still wet but cooked through (about 3 minutes).
- Slice bacon into 1/4-inch strips, add to serving bowl and top with egg mixture.
- Scoop out spaghetti squash “noodles” with a spoon and add to serving bowl, top with lard.
- Slowly start to incorporate lard into spaghetti squash; once melted, stir to combine all ingredients.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top