Chapulines, AKA Toasted Grasshoppers
Your diet needs more insects. Here’s exactly how to make them tasty, according to the chefs at Poquitos, who have made them a baseball delicacy at their locations in downtown Seattle and in Safeco Field where the Seattle Mariners play. The chapulines occasionally make a cameo at their sister restaurant Rhein Haus in Denver and Seattle.
● 1/4 pound chapulines (these are grasshoppers, not crickets)
● 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
● 2 tbsp guajillo chili powder
● 1/2 cup smoked paprika
● 1/4 cup ground cumin
● 1/4 cup oregano
● 2 tbsp kosher salt
● 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
● Squeeze of lime
1. Mix all ingredients except chapulines and lime in a bowl.
2. Toast chapulines over medium heat in a nonstick pan. Add 4 tbsp of spice mixture to chapulines, and continue to toast until fragrant.
3. Add a squeeze of lime and serve.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top