Cabbage is one of the easiest vegetables to ferment and because of this it’s many people’s first probiotic foods.
- 1/4 cup whey
- Shred the cabbage into thin strips and put in a bowl.
- Gently salt the leaves with a small handful of salt and mash with a muddler, wooden spoon, potato masher. Do this for about 5-10 minutes; until the juices are drawn out.
- Transfer cabbage and liquid to a jar, pack down the cabbage, and fill almost to the top.
- Add about ¼ cup whey.
- If the cabbage isn’t covered with liquid, add some water until it is.
- Top with a reserved cabbage leaf or another type of weight to keep the sauerkraut under the liquid.
- Cover the jar loosely with lid. In three days, check it. After five days, taste daily until it’s to your liking (it will continue to get a bit more sour and pungent).
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top