The Perfect Pickle
Real deli-style New York pickles are salt-brined and fermented, not just soaked in vinegar. The difference between a cucumber that’s had a long vinegar-salt bath and one that has transformed by salt, vinegar, and lactobacillus bacteria is vast. Once you try this perfect pickle, you’ll never buy the (pasteurized) grocery store brand again.
- Pickling cucumbers
- Brine solution
- In a separate container, mix enough brine solution to fill your jar using the ratio of 0.75 tablespoons of salt to one cup of water.
- Add dill, garlic, peppercorns to the jar.
- Fit cucumbers in tightly (this helps them stay below the liquid).
- Add in whey.
- Add some horizontal slices or weights to keep the veggies from floating up.
- Fill brine so the cucumbers are are covered. Cover with jar lid, loosely for TK days.
- Experiment: You can also add chili peppers, mustard seed, caraway seed, or pickling spice.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top