5-Ingredient healthy kale and quinoa bowl
Made with 5 easy-to-find ingredients, this low calorie bowl has protein-packed quinoa and hearty kale, a leafy green linked to reduced belly fat. It’s always important to remember that relying on one food to reduce belly fat won’t do the trick, but rather following a calorie-controlled, well-balanced meal over a long period of time is how you stay trim and lean.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 50 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
1 cup quinoa
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (approx. 1 cup), diced
Juice from 1/2 large lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
1. Cook quinoa according to instructions on package.
2. In a large sautÃ© pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup water and cover, cooking for 3-5 minutes. Uncover, toss, and turn heat down to low. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally, adding more water if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add quinoa and sun-dried tomatoes to saucepan and toss to combine. Add lemon juice and olive oil and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Optional: add toppings like slivered almonds, Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
5. Divide mixture evenly into each of 4 bowls and serve.
Nutrition Information (per bowl, without optional toppings)
Calories: 279; Total Fat: 13 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 9 grams: Carbohydrates: 36 grams; Sugar: 7 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 215 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT of The Foodie Dietitian.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top