Chorizo, White Bean and Kale Baked Eggs
At The Fat Dog in Hollywood and North Hollywood, Chef John Gladish is making a fantastic Baked Eggs with Chorizo, White Beans and Kale. The chorizo lends a spicy kick to the tomato and bean stew, and the kale makes it feel like it’s doing you good. Add the tangy manchego and a creamy egg yolk, and you’ve got the perfect medium in which to dip a piece of grilled bread. “It’s a fantastic hangover cure. It’s best eaten right before a weekend afternoon nap,” says Chef Gladish.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and small diced
- 2 stalks celery, leaves removed and small diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and small diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo, removed of their casing
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 16 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, soaked for 24 hours and braised till tender
(Or substitute 2 each 15-oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 whole eggs
- 4 oz Spanish manchego cheese, rind removed and shaved
- 4 slices thick cut crusty bread, ciabatta or similar
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 scallions, cut on bias
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. In an medium to large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and chorizo. Stir constantly until chorizo is cooked through and vegetables have sweated. About 8–10 minutes.
3. Next, add in the tomato paste, stir to incorporate evenly, followed with the cooked beans and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. Finish the chorizo beans by folding in the kale, until just wilted, season with salt and pepper. Divide into 4 ovenproof serving vessels.
5. Place 2 cracked eggs on top of each bean mixture and place in the oven for 12 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, brush both sides of your bread with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, lightly grill or toast in the oven until a light char is established. After the eggs have cooked for 12 minutes in the oven, remove and place the manchego cheese evenly over the eggs. Place back in the oven for 2 more minutes, until cheese has melted.
7. Finish by placing each vessel on a small plate, garnish baked eggs with the scallions and grilled bread, serve immediately.Back to top