Lentil Butternut Squash Soup with Avocado
“I eat lentils obsessively, so what better soup to make than a lentil soup during a cold winter day. I added butternut squash and spinach to give it some more substance, as well as avocado as a nice filling creamy addition. This soup is completely vegan and absolutely delish!” says Chef Kathy Fang of Fang Restaurant in San Francisco.
- 1 can of lentils or half a pack of Trader Joe’s Vacuum Packed Pre-steamed lentils
- 1 quart of vegetable stock
- 1 chopped roma tomato
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced lemongrass (you can use juice of half lemon if no lemongrass)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen spinach or 3 cups fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash
- 1 whole avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
1. Bring your stock to a boil in a large pot and add all ingredients except the avocado.
2. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer and cover with a lid.
3. Let it simmer for 20–30 minutes.
4. Once the soup is done simmering, taste and season with salt and pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil.
5. Take out two large soup bowls and scoop out your avocado and place it in the center of the bowl.
6. Pour your soup over it.
7. Garnish with some freshly minced parsley and a small drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper to top it off. Enjoy!Back to top