Texas “Ranchero” Avocado Toast
If huevos rancheros and avocado toast had a love child, this dish from Tres Carnes’s Executive Chef Sasha Shor would be it. The eggy, tangy, warm, rustic, and spicy flavors of classic rancheros marry perfectly with the chunky, smashed earthiness of the avocado and hearty grilled toast that keeps Instagram on fire!
A thick slice of great rustic sourdough brushed with a little chorizo oil, grilled, and loaded with smashed avocado, fried egg, warm salsa verde, chunks of spicy chorizo, queso fresco, and lots of fresh cilantro and scallions make for some serious toast nirvana and a true fork-and-knife affair. The hot fried egg and warm salsa give the avocado a complex, creamy, almost melted richness that is worlds away from its summery, light, chip-dip life.
- 2 1 ½” thick slices of sourdough, multigrain, or other country style crusty bread
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 ripe haas avocado, split in half, pit removed, flesh scooped out of skin
- ¼ lb. fresh chorizo sausage (not dried or cured), removed from casing
- 2 tbsp queso fresco or cotija cheese
- ½ cup warm charred tomatillo salsa verde (Whole foods 365 brand is great one)
- juice of ½ lime salt & pepper to taste
- freshly chopped cilantro and scallions
- thinly sliced radishes for garnish
1. Roughly smash avocado flesh with a pinch of salt, pepper, and lime juice. Do not overmash. Set aside.
2. In a small skillet on high, add chorizo sausage and 1 tbsp canola oil. Cook, rendering out all the oils, breaking up with a wooden spoon while it’s cooking. Remove chorizo chunks with a slotted spoon, set aside. Remove pan from heat and reserve spicy chorizo oil.
3. Brush bread with chorizo oil and toast on a hot dry skillet until crunchy and dark.
4. Place both pieces of grilled bread on serving plate and top with smashed avocado mixture, divided evenly between both pieces.
5. Fry 2 eggs over easy, making sure the yolks remain runny.
6. Place a fried egg over avocado layer on toast, top each slice with a fried egg, and divide warm salsa verde between both slices.
7. Top with crumbled chorizo, queso fresco, sliced scallions, cilantro, radishes and hot peppers if using.Back to top