Moose head soup and fermented salmon heads are staples in Alaska’s Copper River Basin. So it’s not surprising that the region is TV host and chef Andrew Zimmern’s first stop on tonight’s season premiere of Bizarre Foods America (9 p.m. EST on the Travel Channel). The show is a spinoff of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, which spotlights global culinary traditions such as donkey ribs in Beijing and brain curry in Delhi.
While much of what he eats is shocking – like veal tongue or beluga blubber – Zimmern is insistent that there is a world of great, unfamiliar cuisine. He suggests starting with goat. “You should be eating more goat,” he says. “Goat in America is like soccer. We know the rest of the world loves it, but we just don’t get it. But there is goat available, and like soccer, it’s growing every year.” Here’s Zimmern’s recipe for goat kebabs and flatbread.
Moroccan Goat Liver & Kidney Kebabs with Lemon and Herb Oil
For the Kebabs:
- 1 lb goat kidneys
- 1 lb goat livers
- 1 lb goat loin or top round
- 2 red onions
- 2 yellow peppers
- 8 small tomatoes
- minced green onion
- olive oil
For the Basic Flatbread:
- 6 c Flour
- 1 T salt
- 3 T sugar
- 2 pk yeast
- 2 1/2 c warm water
For the Salad:
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 c minced parsley
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 hot green chile, jalapeno is fine
- 1 c finely diced cucumber
- 1 large minced shallot
- salt & black pepper
Instructions: Season and skewer with the vegetables and leaf lard. Grill and serve with small pieces of grilled flatbread. Garnish with the cucumber and tomato salad.
- Put 6 cups flour, 1 tbsp. salt and 2 tbsp. sugar in a large bowl.
- Proof 2 packages yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tsp. sugar.
- Add yeast mix to bowl with 2 ? 2 ½ cups warm water (or enough water to make dough stiff enough to handle).
- Knead and let double.
- Punch down and divide into 16 balls. Let stand for 10 minutes, then roll into 4 inch rounds. Place on ungreased sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes. As they cool, they will collapse. I also like to grill these.
- Combine and serve.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!