3. Dinner: Asian Salmon with Kale and Tomatoes
Skill level: Beginner
Start to finish: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
1 Tbsp sesame oil or olive oil
½ cup red onion sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger, plus 4 slices fresh ginger, or ¼ tsp ginger powder, plus dash of powder
4 cups kale, torn or roughly chopped, stems cut into ¼-inch slices
½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce, plus 4 tsp
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pound salmon filet, cut into 4 portions
4 thin slices of lemon
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds or toasted slivered almonds
1. Heat oil in 12″ skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, and sauté until softened. Add ginger and garlic, sauté another minute. Then add kale, using tongs to quickly turn and coat the leaves with oil. Add broth, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes, continuing to turn the mixture.
3. When kale is just wilted, add tomatoes and place salmon portions directly against skillet bottom, and top with 1 slice each of ginger or dash of ginger powder, and lemon.
4. Top each portion with a teaspoon of soy sauce.
5. Cover skillet and cook about 6-8 minutes depending upon thickness, until salmon is done.
6. Serve salmon on bed of kale and tomatoes, sprinkle with sesame seeds and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Calories: 550; total fat: 12g; protein: 26g; carbohydrates: 13g; fiber: 2g; sodium: 759mg
Recipe and photo by Tomato Wellness.Back to top