Instead of salad greens, this delicious salad uses shredded Brussels sprouts and broccoli stalks, which are full of good-for-you nutrients. The apples and grapes help balance the slightly bitter flavor from these veggies, while almonds add crunch and chicken adds muscle-building protein.
Nutrition information (per serving)
Calories: 504; total fat: 27g; saturated fat: 5g; protein: 27g; carbohydrates: 43g; sugar: 28g; fiber: 6g; cholesterol: 63mg; sodium: 477mg
Recipe and photo by Abbey Sharp, M.S. of Abbey’s Kitchen.
Makes 3 servings
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cup red Brussels sprouts, leaves removed
- 1 1/2 cups green Brussels sprouts, leaves removed
- 2 broccoli stalks, shaved thin with a mandolin
- 1 red apple, shaved thin with a mandolin
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 3 Tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp dried cherries
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if desired
- For the chicken:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
How to make it
For the dressing:
Mix together ingredients in a bowl until emulsified.
For the salad:
Mix together ingredients in a large bowl.
For the chicken:
Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and place presentation-side down onto the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, until nicely golden brown, and then transfer to the oven for about 8-9 minutes, or until the chicken registers 165°.
Remove the chicken, and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice into pieces.
Dress the salad with the vinaigrette, and divide between two plates. Top with the chicken breasts and additional parmesan if desired.